Sunday, November 28, 2010

Turkey, Snow and Pumpkin Pie

Dear Snow,

Thank you for coming early this year and letting me have almost a full week off work for Thanksgiving. You know I love you when I'm snug and warm, drinking hot chocolate and eating cookies by the fire. Somehow you knew I was several days behind in cooking preparation for turkey day and without a day off it would be 2 AM bedtime for me. You also knew I wouldn't be content with just one snow day, because I'm greedy like that.

Thank you snow for delighting my girls so, especially Madeleine who enjoyed your white fluff for the first time (that's right, I did notice you didn't make an appearance last year). Even if we were woefully unprepared, lacking a sled, our cardboard box was kind of fun.

Thank you snow for not overstaying your welcome. You melted just in time for Grandma and Papa to make it here safely for Thanksgiving.

Thanks again, snow! We can't wait to see you again!


My snowballer toughies. Yeah, I wouldn't want to meet them in a dark alley either.

From this...
...to this.







Baking pumpkin pie. Yes, I do realize there is a large bottle of Jim Beam whiskey next to Isabelle in this picture. And yes, it is a necessary ingredient.
Back out in the snow on Thanksgiving day. Isabelle and Jason built this snowgirl together over the course of several hours while the rest of us stayed warm in the house.
Jason grew kind of attached.
Dinner? You bet! A bit of this...
...a bit of that...
...and several plates of this.
"Delicious!"

3 comments:

Kristi J said...

too adorable...can't wait for some snow, kj

Springs Landing said...

Happy belated Thanksgiving. As usual, your posts are great. I am so glad the girls had a wonderful time and the snow surely does make it more festive - I enjoyed 89 muggy degrees in Miami - not.

If you wouldn't mind sharing your pumpkin pie recipe, I sure would love to sample it?

Love,

Sandy

Joe and Deanna said...

Aubrey,

A fellow teacher and Washingtonian here...we live up in Skagit County and are adopting from Ethiopia. I would love to chat with you sometime, but for now I am enjoying your blog and pics.

Happy Holidays,
Deanna and family