Sunday, November 29, 2009
Saturday, November 21, 2009
Thursday, November 19, 2009
Suddenly, out of nowhere, a kamikaze squirrel jumped out of a nearby bush and ran as fast as his legs could carry him toward the rear wheel of my monstrous van.
I tried to swerve to avoid hitting the pint-sized rodent but my efforts were in vain as I heard the inevitable bump-bump sound of wheels on fur. Things only got worse when I realized to my horror that a group of former students were watching the scene while waiting happily at the bus stop. At the time my only hope was that they hadn't seen I was the squirrel-murdering offender so I sped off, choosing instead to be a cowardly hit-and-run squirrel killer.
To make myself feel better I will now hold up Eleanor Roosevelt as evidence that great people really do make horrible mistakes:
Here she is sporting her favorite fur coat - made from squirrels.
Saturday, November 14, 2009
Time to party!
1. I love how you play bootie with me - Isabelle (This game involves Isabelle dumping protective shoe booties used for home tours onto Madeleine's head, causing both girls to dissolve into giggles and snorts of laughter.)
2. We love how you play hide-and-seek, waiting for us to hide and then crawling as fast as you can to find us before tagging us on the head with a big smile on your face.
3. We love the crunched up face you make to show how silly you think we are.
4. We love how every morning when we come into your room you smile, clap your hands and give us a standing ovation simply for saying good morning.
5. We love your big, still-toothless smile and dimples in your cheeks.
6. We love how you've learned how to give wet, slobbery kisses (with tongue) and wave to your adoring fans.
7. I love how you crawl towards me and climb on me to say "hi". - Isabelle
8. We love how you're so mischievous and, knowing full well that you're not supposed to put things in your mouth, will slyly try to place an item in your gnashers while giving us your "I know I'm a stinker" smile.
9. We love how you love water and will splash and kick your legs in the tub, soaking yourself and everything else within a five foot radius.
10. We love how you love books and will sit patiently on Isabelle's bed listening to stories way beyond your comprehension level at bedtime.
11. We love how when you really want something you will put your head down and crawl at breakneck speed, huffing and puffing (never mind that it's usually a no-no item like the fire or Mommy's wine bottles that you desire).
12. We love how you babble so well, complete with hand motions for emphasis, that it sounds as though you're carrying on a discourse regarding the state of the world's affairs.
and #13. (let's go ahead and make it a full baker's dozen)
We love how you complete our family. At night when you're snuggled close and I'm rocking you to sleep I look down at your little face just inches from my own. Your big brown eyes look up at me while you listen intently to my whispered endearments and I feel as though my heart is so full of love for you that it might just burst. You are the perfect addition to our family and there isn't a list in the world that could truly show how wonderful you are.
Happy Birthday Madeleine!
Monday, November 9, 2009
Friday, November 6, 2009
Madeleine has been working hard at learning to pull herself up, stand and take a few steps while holding Mommy's hand but it should be no surprise to anyone that the thing she is really adept at is eating. She has mastered the art of feeding herself with both hands, ensuring that if one hand is stuffing food in the other is busy picking up the next bite. She can sign "more" (we'll all admit a very important skill indeed) and enjoys being very independent while drinking from a cup. She doesn't seem to mind at all if she ends up with a soggy shirt. Of course she does let us know the warm bathtub is where she'd like to be straight after dinner.
Here she is in action (please ignore Isabelle's hacking cough in the background - we believe the piggy flu paid a visit to our house last week.)