Sunday, January 10, 2010

The Elusive Nosepicker and Other Tales


For several weeks Isabelle has been talking about nosepickers. Yes, I am making it one word and sorry, I know you're totally grossed out - I was too! During play time it was all about nosepickers. She saw one in her bedroom, there were a couple down the street, they were outside in the woods, and on, and on. She would even go up to Madeleine and say, "How ya' doin' there you little nosepicker?" (As a quick aside Isabelle also has many other names for Maddy including: little potato, little freckle and little pickle. She uses all these names lovingly and it is apparently a private joke between the two of them.)

Anyway, back to nosepickers. I finally couldn't take any further talk that conjured disgusting images in my head and finally asked Isabelle to explain what she was talking about. She of course looked at me like I was crazy and said, "You know Mom! Those birdies that pick trees? The nosepickers!"

And then it became clear - she had been obsessing about woodpeckers. What a relief!
In other news Madeleine has been working hard at building her vocabulary. She now knows how to say Mama, Dada, Pop and tree. She loved our Christmas tree and now sits forlornly in the corner where it stood, holding her hands up with longing repeating, "Tree! Tree! Tree!" over and over again. She also loves our cats and has perfected the word "kit" (short for kitty). Incidentally she is also adept at the shhh sound and quite frequently (and accidentally) pairs that sound with the end of "kit" getting....well, you know what word comes out.

My potty-mouth girl says,"I know I'm crazy!...
"...but I'm also brilliant!"
Watch out for this dynamic duo!

2 comments:

"Are These Kids All Yours?" said...

he he he he .....too funny. Our kids have done that too...he he

Adrienne said...

That is soooo funny:)

I love when they mispronounce words and despite being a teacher of little ones I don't like to correct them.. In fact these words /phrases sometimes become part of our vocabluary....

Girls look great and Madeleine is getting so big....